WILL WALL STICKERS DAMAGE MY WALLS?
Rarely. However, in certain instances precautions must be taken. DO NOT apply to walls that have been painted less than 6 weeks previously. The walls need time to cure.
Wall stickers should not be used on fragile paint/wallpaper, where there are any chips, cracks etc as the risk of damage too high.
DE Trading Ltd will accept no responsibility of damage to any walls, surfaces or paint should this occur.
WHAT ARE THE TOP TIPS TO ENSURE MY STICKERS STICK?
The good news is there is much you can do to ensure your wall stickers work. Our top tips would be:
- Ensure your paint has cured (check with your paint manufacturer but we would recommend waiting 6 weeks).
- Only apply to clean, dry, smooth walls – dust is the enemy of any sticker!
- Take care not to overhandle the wall stickers.
- Place away from heat and radiators. Do not use in a room with fluctuating temperature or a room with lots of moisture.
- For the first week you can rub your new decal/wall sticker down daily to help the adhesive take hold.
- DO NOT leave stickers in the postal tube! Please remove them and lay flat when they arrive if you do not plan to put them up immediately.
ON WHAT SURFACE/PAINT CAN I NOT USE WALL STICKERS?
Never use wall stickers on textured or porous surfaces. Using any of our wall stickers on textured or porous surfaces is outside our and our manufacturers recommendations.
Wash and wear paints or paints containing silicon/teflon (or other non stick ingredients) are generally unsuitable for wall stickers. EASY CARE type paint that is WASHABLE & NON STICK is not suitable.
This is not whether it is a matt, satin or gloss finish – it is about the ingredients added to the paint to avoid anything sticking to it – these paints will reject many wall stickers causing failure. It isn’t the wall stickers failing, but the paint working and doing its job. It is therefore very important to know your paint surface and, if you do not, to test appropriately prior to applying wall stickers. Stickers applied to unsuitable paint surfaces cannot be refunded.
Very cold walls can produce moisture and these walls can be unsuitable. In some cases warming cold walls with a hair dryer 30 beforehand may help.
HOW DO I APPLY MY WALL STICKERS?
It is very easy to apply your wall stickers!
It can take around 10 minutes to transform your room!?Any smooth surface is a perfect location for wall stickers but make sure the surface is dry. Walls, glass, smooth painted surfaces are perfect. Make sure the paint is dry.
- Clean the surface using a dry cloth. Make sure the surface is free of dirt, dust and any grease. If you do have to use a slightly damp cloth after the cleaning wait until you are sure the wall is dry.
- Plan! To avoid over handling the stickers and compromising the adhesive, plan where you are going to put it first.
- Remove from backing, Place your sticker on a flat surface, table or floor and slowly peel the part you want off the backing. Go slowly during this process while making sure you don’t tear any of the graphics.
- Apply to wall, Place one edge of the peeled off sticker on the wall at the location you have planned. Pressing firmly, place the full sticker on the wall moving your hand over the full area. Using the edge of a credit card apply pressure over the full graphic to remove any air bubbles.
- Stand back and admire your work!
WHY DO SOME WALL STICKERS NOT STICK?
The reasons stickers will not stick are:
-Left in the postal tube for weeks or months causes the stickers to curl and lose stickiness. Once stickers arrive, remove them from postal tube and lay flat.
-The type of paint on the wall is not suitable (see above).
-The paint is not fully cured if recently painted (see above).
-The surface needs gently smoothed with a low grade sandpaper.
-They are placed too close to heat.
-The walls are damp/cold.
We have found that sometimes wall stickers will peel, however testing and following all our and the manufacturers instructions will reduce the risk of this happening. Often peeling occurs on textured walls or walls with paints with non stick properties – neither of which are recommended with our wall stickers/decals.
It is recommended that you rub down your new wall art every day for a week after installing as this will help the bonding process and reduce the risk of peeling.
Direct heat can cause the adhesive to soften so we do not recommend installing wall stickers by radiators or other heating appliances. Keep in mind that we recommend using a hairdryer to help remove wall stickers – a radiator or similar will have the same impact on wall stickers!
Applying to uncured paint can also cause the wall stickers to peel – please ensure that the paint is not just touch dry but cured by waiting at least 6 weeks prior to applying wall stickers.
Ensuring your walls are clean and dry and not overhandling the wall sticker at the time of application is also important to ensure you do not compromise the adhesive.
Sometimes the wall looks smooth to the naked eye, but could be a little rough or textured. Gently wiping a low grade sandpaper over the area will sometimes help this problem.
HOW DO I SAFELY REMOVE MY WALL STICKERS?
It is important to follow all instructions provided for applying and removing the wall decals.
The most important aspect to removing the decals is to remove them very slowly and gently – if they are ripped off and not gently eased of the walls then damage can occur.
A hairdryer on a very low setting can help soften the adhesive of a more stubborn decal and assist with removal.
Important note: Some wall stickers are small or if ripped may be small enough to become a choking hazard.
When deciding where to place your wall stickers/ decals we recommend placing them away from baby’s cot or where they can be reached by baby or child under the age of three.